Sunday 31 December 2023

Mater Suspiria Vision - Hotel Trancesylvania

The latest release from Mater Suspiria Vision "Hotel Trancesylvania" landed in my mailbox many moons ago, but for some reason I've delayed this review for months. Since I got it, the album has been on constant replay. I actually loved it so much I managed to get MSV agree to let me release it via Dagger Forest on tape, complete with bonus tracks and remixes. Phantasma Disques obviously did a CDR version too. In my opinion, it's their finest record in years, bridging the gap between their original DIY production style and contemporary experimentation. Hypnagogic drones set the stage for layers of eerie synths and haunting ambience, complemented by ghostly vocals from Æchidna Morgan Kamen and trippy contributions from Shazzula. The latter's input to the LP proves how much chemistry and mutual understanding is between her and Cosmotropia de Xam, which leaves me yearning for a potential Shazzula/MSV album. Tracks like "Power Of Intensity" or "Crawler's Revenge" pay homage to the Disaro days, without sounding derivative or trying to resurrect a bygone era. On the contrary, they cement the band's legacy as an underground tour-de-force and originator. Ultimately the album is a thrilling and wholly immersive journey into the world of one of the most innovative artists of the post-internet era.

Order the CD here, tape here and stream the whole album below.