Wednesday 16 February 2022

Alice Glass - Prey//IV

After over 15 years on the music scene, we finally got the album I've been hyping up since last year, "Prey//IV" from Alice Glass. Produced in full by Jupiter Keyes, it is a continuation and expansion of the themes explored on her 2017 self-titled EP - "Prey consists of thirteen tracks filled brutal honesty, conquering demons of her past and dealing with subsequent trauma. Musically the LP goes all the way back to the Crystal Castles years, taking the best of that dark electro sound and reinventing it for the modern dancefloor era. Influences behind the throbbing beats that build the frame of the album range from techno and witchtronica, to current deconstructed bass music techniques. The way "Prey" is arranged makes it a satisfying journey from start to finish, so I'd say it's way better when consumed as a whole. Overall - it's a really really solid record, I have a feeling it will grow on me over the next few months and may even secure a spot on my end of year list... Alice and Jupiter get my stamp of approval, check it out.

You can buy the digital version on Bandcamp here (it includes "almost 300mb of exclusive additional content available for download after purchase" - not sure what that means, I haven't purchased it yet). No news about physical editions so far...