Friday 27 May 2022

Parrish Smith - Light, Cruel & Vain

Ok, first of all - I love this cover artwork. Parrish Smith is a Dutch singer, producer and musician who just released a new album on Dekmantel entitled "Light, Cruel & Vain". I came across this LP today while browsing CVLT Nation, and their description "electro-grunge" (plus the artwork) caught my attention. Turns out I listened to his music a couple of years earlier - he's also a member of Volition Immanent who released a handful of records on Mind Records. Anyway, his new album is all over the place (in a good way), from the aforementioned electro-grunge, through metal-heavy rock and punk, to industrial techno. My personal favourite track from the LP is "Perfume Of Oil" - reminiscent of the raw minimalism of Beau Wanzer, but with an acid punch. If you're looking for something eclectic, check this album out.

"Light, Cruel & Vain" is out not on vinyl and digital, and can be purchased here. Stream the whole album below.